Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Arts and Crafts, Oh My!

So, I have finally developed a knack for Do It Yourself crafts, due to the most awesome website, www.pinterest.com. I was recently blessed with the most adorable little house, so it got my brain tinkering on different ideas on how to fix it up and make it fit my personality, since I had so much space now to work with,coming from a one bedroom apartment.

My first DIY project was taking the plain, cream colored cabinets in my kitchen, and transforming them into a antique-y worn look. It was quite simple to do. I read and read about how to do this process, but the way I did it, seemed much easier. Here is the before picture of the  kitchen (it's a bit blurry) and a few before, during, and after pictures of the cabinets drying.

Here are the before pictures of the cabinets. Just an off white/Cream colored paint. I skipped several steps it said to do on all the researching sites I looked at, but my cabinets were not finished or coated, so it eliminated the steps I needed to do. 
Sanding wasn't necessary because my cabinets were not finished, but to get a few scratches and chipped paint, I thought it would look better with the look I was going for.
Wax on, Wax off.. Easy enough!
 I used Aged Oak, gel stain. Websites said to use a "glaze", but I liked the gel better because it was much thicker.
 I let the stain sit for about 2-3 minutes before wiping it off. You can go over as many times as you want until you get the desired look you want.
Here is one of the finished cabinets in the drying stage. I let them dry for 24 hours. I will post more when I finish! Hope you like! I think they turned out really well for my first attempt at this.

No comments:

Post a Comment